Saturday 18 January 2014

Evaluation Question 4

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

We uploaded our music video onto Vimeo as we needed a place to share our video. It allowed people to watch, rate and comment on it as they pleased. With this website, we were able to see how many plays and likes it got, along with people's opinion of it. Unfortunately, we couldn't gather as much feedback on this site as an account was required but luckily I got some through alternative methods such as  interviewing people. According to the statistics, the video wasn't very popular as we only had 14 views. But this may have been because the video was private which meant that only the media students from our college could view it.

Stats from Vimeo


A way to boost the profile of our artist was by putting the video up on Youtube so it could be seen by the public. Youtube is an extremely popular video streaming site and it is used world wide. This is one reason why we chose to upload our video here. Once we looked at the stats, we realised that the video did MUCH better than it did on Vimeo as we got a staggering 229 views and 6 likes! This is much better than we anticipated. The views started off low but then gradually started increasing and hopefully it will carry on like this :)


Stats from Youtube

MUSIC VIDEO

Here is some feedback we got about the music video  




 
The overall feedback for the music video was very good. Majority of the people had very good things to say about it and they genuinely couldn't find any faults. Therefore, I cant really say if there were any points that we could have improved on. Within the feedback video, you can see that we asked a few people that were in our specified target range which were between the ages of 16 to 23. They all mentioned that they really liked our music video and felt that it really suited the genre (indie-pop). One even mentioned that it really appealed to her. This made me see our work in a different light as it didn't seem like just another student music video. It seemed like something that you would actually see on MTV!

Many of the viewers said that they really liked the filter we used as well as the variety of shots. One mentioned that the video reminded her of Taylor Swift. This is great for us to hear as many of the influences we had for this music video came from Taylor Swift. This tells us that we did a great job of portraying that genre as she would also fit into it.

Personally, I think there were some things we could have tweaked. For example I thought we could've had more of a variety of shots for the chorus as it did seem a little to repetitive. However this may be me just being very picky with things as my teacher did say that it was fine to keep it like that as it gave it an indie vibe.

Another thing that I think we could have done was to do my creative edits as the ones we do have were a bit simple. We couldn't really be experimental with editing skills as we did have quite a few problems where our work wouldn't save properly because whenever we came back to it, it would always be out of sync! If we didn't have this problem, we could have tried out new styles and techniques instead of wasting our time trying to put everything back in sync again.



THE DIGIPAK

I've made a few videos to show some of the feedback I received from my ancillary products.


 
Once again, the overall feeling behind the digipak was very positive. They liked the fact that there were clear visual links between the ancillary products and the music video. I had already planned out the aspects of synergy I would use before the production stage of the music video. In the first video on this blog, one of the questions that were asked was "what do you expect to see on the digipak?" and most of them replied say that they expected to see similar colours and scenery and especially the guitar. This makes me think that the plan I had initially was thought out really well as most of the viewers picked up on the main elements that made the video and thought it would be best to apply it to that. This shows that I followed the conventions that are attached to making the ancillary pieces. I feel really happy about this because I learnt that audiences can often recognise the specific conventions of music genres, sometimes without even realising it!
 
From all the feedback I received, I can see that there isn’t a lot I could have changed. Personally I think that I could've added a little more to the back panel as it did seem a little plain. Even though all of the necessary information was there, it seemed a little empty to me. No one seemed to pick up on this, which meant that they liked the simplicity of it. What I’ve learned from this feedback is that people liked the simplistic approach which was used for this digipak as it was mainly there to sell the artist and not detract from her. The feedback that I received has definitely made me look at my digipak in a different light as there are things which I don’t personally like which other people thought was a positive contribution towards the digipak.

THE ADVERT
 


 
The advert received very similar feedback to that of the digipak. It was all positive and they seemed to like it rather than dislike it for many reasons. So for this I am extremely satisfied. From all the feedback I received I can see that there isn’t a lot I could have changed as I had all of the necessary information that is needed on an advert.
 
Personally, I think that I could've made more effort in showing off my editing skills by experimenting a little more. But I didn't do this because I wanted it to connect well with my digipak so keeping it simple suited it better.
 
Considering our target audience, I believe that I have questioned a similar group of people in order to obtain audience feedback. Our artist’s music and therefore our music video and ancillary work are focused to attract females aged 16-23. So looking at the audience feedback, I believe that it is quite accurate to the reaction I would receive.
 
All of the feedback received was incredibly helpful in terms of understanding what we did well and what we could've improved on if there was anything. The main thing I've learnt from this is that we've been able to successfully make our product appealing to our target audience as well as to those outside of it!
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment